second bridge to span Pasig river was the suspension Clavería Bridge,
so called because its contruction began during Governor General Narciso
de Clavería's term. The bridge is known more commonly as Puente
Colgante or Suspension Bridge. In present times, ignorance of Spanish in
the Philippines makes many bridge historians with no knowledge of the language
call it erroneously “Puente de Colgante.”
mid 19th Century the insular administration considered the need to build
a bridge to connect the Quiapo District with Arroceros. The Government
granted a ninety-year franchise to Ynchausty y Compañía (YCO)
to build and operate a toll bridge. Construction commenced in 1849 and
the bridge opened to the public in 1852. The bridge was suspended from
two pairs of pylons built on solid ground, like the side pylons. Suspender
cables traveling from the main cables held in place a wooden deck and roadway.
The roadway was seven meters wide, enough to accommodate two lanes for
rolling traffic and an island in between for pedestrians.
Popular historiography has maintained
till today two stories that are not entirely factual. The first is that
Gustave Eiffel was involved in the bridge design. But by the year construction
began, Eiffel was only 17 years old, not very likely with the qualifications
to design bridges.